Tuesday 22 July 2014

‘I’m making music not for Nigeria but the world’ – Mr 2kay

Port Harcourt native Mr 2kay has kept it buzzing in the past few months, shuttling the Nigerian and Europe.

In this interview with NET, the Waterside Boy talks about his foray into the UK, a supposed beef with Burna Boy and the inspiration behind his new single 'Summer girl'.

You've been up and about for the last 14 months, what have you been up to?

I've been on a lot of stuff after I dropped my new single 'Summer girl'. I travelled to the UK to shoot the video, which drops some days ago, and before then, went on an eight-city tour in Nigeria.  Add all that to the regular collabos with various artistes.

Your single 'Bubugaga rmx' was well received especially in the UK; it was featured on a lot of UK websites and radio playlist. What is the success behind it?

I can't really tell, well it might not be because I featured UK based acts on the song. For me, I think it's God first and also my label Grafton Entertainment because we are pushing really hard. Then of course, the content of the song is good.

Who's bigger, the buzz of the song or Mr 2kay?

The buzz and Mr 2kay I'll say, they both go together.

Describe how your recent tour went?

That's my first official tour in Nigeria. It was quite awesome and also a wonderful experience. The Capital Hill team came to support me; the likes of Illbliss, Tha Suspect and a host of Port Harcourt artistes. Enugu was awesome, Calabar was great, Warri but Benin seemed to be the nicest.

Speaking about Port Harcourt, how much support are you getting from there?

I'm getting loads of support. Most people see me as the biggest act from there right now. But we still have the likes of Duncan Mighty. Duncan is happy with what I'm doing. Truthfully, I still I haven't gotten anything yet.

Which PH artiste have you collaborated with in the last six months or a year?

I've done a song with Duncan and I'm still looking forward to doing another song with him because he's a great act, I've also done a couple of songs with BFMG, I've done something with BM Baby, she's a great female act down there, probably the best female act in PH right now.

You have done something with Burna Boy; can you tell us about it?

Yes I have done something with Burna Boy but the production was poor, not from the artiste though. My manager was like 'we can't put this out' and at the time, there was no way we could redo the song because Burna had travelled to Lagos.

A little bird told me that you guys aren't all that friends…

I've heard a lot of rumours about some kind of beef with Burna Boy but we are cool. We hung at his birthday party in Lagos. If I see him on the way I'll greet him. When I actually wanted to come to Lagos, he was the first person I actually called and he was quite happy.

Your new single 'summer girl'; was sort perfect timing – it dropped around the world cup also. Was it planned that way?

No! It wasn't! It was just an inspiration. I was in London and just dropped it. The expectation for a new single was high; everybody kept asking for a new single, then I thought to myself, 'Oh summer time in UK is really special, let me relate that to a beautiful woman'. I told my boss Big T about the Idea I had in my head and we made the song.

How well is the song doing?

At the moment it's not released in the UK, it's just premiered here in Nigeria. The official release date would be July 27 on iTunes. The response we've been getting from the DJs has been amazing.

It's almost like you're creating music for fans abroad, don't you think it's a bit confusing for you since you have already started to build a market here?

I'm creating songs for the world not just abroad, and I think it sounds good to those who understand music. Right now I'm seen as an international artiste and I thank God for that.

How many nominations have you received so far in you music career?

Just one! And I appreciate that, I thank God for that, it's like my first international award nomination.

Do you think you deserve more?

Yes, I think I deserve more but most times we don't get what we deserve so you have to make do with what you have and keep hoping and when the time comes nobody is going to deny you of what you're supposed to get. So I just feel if I'm not getting this thing, then it's not the time for me, I don't feel bad about it, I just think it's time for me to go back and work harder.

You lost your dad last year, how close were you to him?

I wasn't that close to my dad, I'm the mummy's boy. A lot of stuff happened way back, but I actually forgave him before he died. I just lost my grandma; she was buried a few weeks ago. I used to be very close to her too.

What do you want Nigerians to think about when the name Mr 2kay is mentioned?

They should think of the great artiste who actually came from nothing to the limelight, they should think of the future and the new generation of the Nigerian music.

Source: NET

No comments: