Friday 31 January 2014

Nigerian undergraduate caught with 1.745 kg of cannabis at airport

Udiomeh Kufre Ita is reported to have attempted to
smuggle parcels of cannabis. Photo: Gistmania
PM News reports that a Nigerian undergraduate,
Udiomeh Kufre Ita, was arrested over the weekend
at the Muritala International Airport, Lagos, by the
National Drug Law Enforcement Agency for drug
trafficking.

The undergraduate, according to the Airport
Commander of NDLEA, Hamza Umar is a student
of the faculty of Management Science at the Regent
University of Ghana, and was caught in possession
of 1.745kg of dried cannabis as passengers aboard
an Africa World Airlines flight from Accra
Ghana were being screened.

'An undergraduate student was found in possession
of two parcels of cannabis weighing 1.745kg during
routine search of passengers. The drug was hidden
inside his bag containing personal effects. He was
immediately arrested and the case is under
investigation,' Hamza said.

The suspect said he used his tuition to buy a cell
phone, smoke Indian hemp, attend night clubs and
thereafter engaged in the cannabis business to make
profit so he could recoup his tuition.

'I spent my school fees on cell phone, smoking
hemp and attending nightclubs. I bought a cell
phone for N107,000 and spent my school fees
recklessly. I thought I could make enough profit
from the sale of cannabis to offset the deficit in my
tuition. I bought each parcel of hemp for 220 Ghana
cedi. I did not know what came over me and I am
afraid to go to my parents,' he admitted.

The national chairman of NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade,
while commenting on the case, described the action
of the undergraduate as shameful, and advised the
public against the use of drugs.

'This is very shameful and sad. It shows that the
suspect is morally bankrupt. Students must
understand that drug use is inimical to the pursuit of
their academic goals,' Giade was quoted as saying.
The NDLEA said the suspect might be sent for
counselling or charged to court.

No comments: