Saturday 26 April 2014

Top Obasanjo Loyalists Dump PDP For APC

Top Stakeholders associated with former President Olusegun Obasanjo have left the Peoples Democratic Party ship and defected to the All Progressives Congress.

According to PUNCH, these loyalists of OBJ decided to switch parties because they felt they where not being supported enough by the ruling party.

These loyalists had wanted to defect with OBJ but the Ex-president urged them to stay on with the ruling party, after PDP National Chairman, Alhaji Adamu Mu'azu paid him a visit this January.

These supporters who mostly hail from the South-West feel ignored by the PDP and want nothing more to do with the party.

They also said that most of the points raised in OBJ's letter to former Chairman, Dr. Bamanga Tukur have not been looked at by the party.

A source close to the the group said:v"We continue to behave as if we do not want the old man and his supporters in the party. Mu'azu promised to address those points when he visited Baba (Obasanjo) in January, but nothing has been done."

The history of the crisis in the South-west PDP worsened in the start of 2013, when Tukur took down the party executive in Ogun State led by Senator Dipo Odujirin also an OBJ loyal.

Tukur also took out Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola and National Auditor, Chief Bode Mustapha who are also strong loyalists of Obasanjo.

When Chief Bode Mustapha was called, he immediately told journalists that he has defected with his supporters to the APC.

He said: "I cannot continue to remain in a party where injustice is the order of the day; where the leader of the party does not deem it right to address the injustice that was meted out to me; where a person, who did not contest an office, is today occupying the office. They think it is the norm.

"It only smacks of one thing: that I am not wanted in the party; that I am seen as somebody who has no value in the party. Whether I have value or not, we shall see at the polls.

"I left the party on my own free will. Baba Obasanjo is my Baba (father). At the same time, at 64, if I don't know where I am going, I should know where I am coming from. I should know when to appreciate that I am not wanted in an environment.

"Let neophytes continue to tell lies to Mr. President. I wish all of them well, but if they are planning to rig, I want to tell them that they can only rig where they are popular."

The PDP Chairman in Ogun State, Chief Bayo Dayo has however laughed off his threats, saying Mustapha is worthless and has absolutely no political value.

He said, "Bode Mustapha has no value. If he has any value, tell him to go and give it to the APC. I can tell you that he cannot even win his ward."

The PDP has made it clear that they will only worry when Obasanjo himself comes out and questions them.

Via: Punch Nigeria

No comments: