Tuesday 13 May 2014

62-year-old man arraigned in Enugu for alleged shop breaking, stealing

Enugu – The police on Tuesday brought one Sunday Okoli, 62, of  Enugu North Local Government Area before an Enugu Magistrates' Court for alleged shop breaking and stealing.

The accused was arrested for allegedly breaking into a shop owned by one Amuche Onyia and stealing N304,500 from it.

Okoli pleaded not guilty to the two-count charge.
The prosecutor, Mr Emmanuel Ajogwu, said the matter was reported to the Central Police Station, Enugu on Nov. 18, 2013.

Ajogwu said the offence was punishable under the Criminal Code Cap 30 Vol II Laws of Enugu State of Nigeria 2004.

The complainant had told the court that her shop was locked up before she left for her house in the evening.
She further said that the accused said in his report that he saw the shop open and decided to lock it up for her.

"I am very sure I locked up my shop because I left with my bunch of keys which I used in opening and locking up my shops.

"How could I have left my shop open and left for home with my bunch of keys?" she asked.

The Magistrate, Mr Emma Nwaro, said the court would try as much as possible to make the case faster because it was almost an old matter.

Nwaro adjourned the matter till May 15.

Via: NAN

No comments: